Overseas Student Health Cover ( OSHC )

International students undertaking formal studies in Australia, and their dependents (for example, spouses and children under 18 years old), must obtain OSHC.

It includes cover for:

  • visits to the doctor
  • some hospital treatment
  • ambulance cover, and
  • limited pharmaceuticals (medicines)

OSHC insurers can provide a range of different OSHC products. These may range from a basic product which covers only the compulsory minimum services to comprehensive products which cover, in addition to the compulsory minimum services, extra services as specified under the particular policy.

Where can I purchase OSHC?

OSHC is offered by certain insurers under a Deed of Agreement with the Department of Health to provide adequate health insurance to students at a reasonable cost. Only a small number of registered Health Insurers offer OSHC:

Allianz Care Australia (Peoplecare) www.allianzcare.com.au/en/student-visa-oshc.html

Health InsurerWebsite
ahm OSHCwww.ahmoshc.com
BUPA Australiawww.bupa.com.au/health-insurance/oshc
CBHS International Health OSHCwww.cbhsinternationalhealth.com.au/overseas-students-oshc
Medibank Privatewww.medibank.com.au
OSHC NIBwww.nib.com.au

The Department of Home Affairs requires overseas students to maintain OSHC for the duration of time they are in Australia. For further information please visit the Department of Home Affairs website.